Have you ever wondered that ancient humans did not use a treadmill to remain fit?
They used to travel long distances by foot and as a result stayed fit. Walking is the most underrated form of exercise and can do miracles. A daily walking habit can help you switch off your mind, strengthen your body, and recreate happy moments within your society.
Did you know, walking is better than running for the heart!
A toddler is taught to walk so that he can walk all life, so at 40 why stop? There are miles to go before I sleep…
How many calories does a 30-minute workout burn?
Weight lifting = 199 calories
Tennis = 232 calories
Basketball = 265 calories
Beach volleyball = 265 calories
Football = 298 calories
Bicycling (14 – 15.9 mph) = 331 calories
Rock climbing = 364 calories
Running (7.5mph) = 414 calories
Surya Namaskar = 417 calories
Walking = 200 calories
What are the benefits of walking?
- It works to reverse the effects of genes that promote weight gain.
- It helps control sweet craving.
- It reduces the chances of having breast cancer.
- It relieves joint pain.
- It increases immunity.
- Dementia, peripheral artery disease, obesity, diabetes, depression, colon cancer, and even erectile dysfunction can all be prevented by walking.
Ready, Set, Walk…
- Put on your walking shoes and do plogging: Plogging involves cleaning the environment- trash picking, while on a nature walk. You can carry a bag next time you go for a walk!
- Walk with a friend: Walking with a friend keeps you socially uplifted and keeps you up for long walks.
- Walk while listening to music: Music is a major motivator for walking. It helps build a cardio rhythm that helps us walk longer.
- Take your dog for a walk: Tame a dog and walk him every morning and evening, for the dog's daily routine and yours!
- Join the fitness app fad and set daily step goals: Keeping daily step goals using a fitness tracker helps to keep a regular walking routine for the busy!
- Find a beautiful nature walk: Mindful walking along a beautiful nature walk will help you recuperate through silence and also promote a healthy lifestyle!
- Walking to the market to do shopping: Walking instead of transportation pays off! It helps you become more healthy and also aids in recreation.
- Play golf: Golf is a sport that requires long walks on the greens! If you're ready for it, it's a great way to burn calories.
- Walk after having meals: Ayurveda says that a walk after every meal helps in digestion and leads to weight loss.
What is the diet regimen along with a walking routine?
- Drink green tea after walking
- Avoid sports drinks
- High-fibre carbs, such as fruits, whole grains, and beans, provide energy while also helping digestion, whereas proteins and healthy fats, such as nuts, nut butter, avocado, eggs, fish, and chicken, satisfy hunger while also boosting muscle health.
- Drink eight glasses of water a day.
- Avoid having sugar.
Importance of stretching before and after a walk
Stretching keeps the muscles flexible, strong, and healthy, which is important for maintaining a range of motion in the joints. Muscles shorten and become tight without it. When the muscles are called into action, they are weak and unable to fully expand. You're more likely to suffer from joint pain, strains, and muscle damage if you don't stretch.