Today, the world has come together. Not for a happy cause though. Covid-19 and the Coronavirus scare has reached every nook and corner of the world. Each country faced its own version of a lockdown. But there was something in common in all of these. Gyms and fitness centers were shut down. Going out in public places, without any essential reason becoming a punishable offense and a health concern for physical and mental fitness.
The New Normal
As we know it, covid-19 is here to stay. Even if the lockdown eases around the world, the virus will not depart soon. Till the time there is no vaccine, we have to live with the virus. Does this mean we should stay indoors or live under a rock scared of catching the virus? The answer is both yes and no. We should stay indoors, avoid going out if not essential. This saves us and others too.
Going Digital With Fitness
But the new normal should not obstruct our fitness regime. We live in a digital age, so joining a digital gym group is one plausible solution to continue with our fitness routine:
- This involves, subscribing to live training conducted by a trainer remotely.
- This gives you the camaraderie and gamification required to keep you motivated.
- It keeps you away from the gym equipment that can cause the risk of COVID-19.
- You may buy some less expensive equipment such as dumbbells or a jump rope to keep you in shape while at home.
There are many service providers for digital gyms:
- Egym: Based out of the US, they have many modules such as an app, trainer, workout schedules, and more.
- Freeletics: US-based service provider assists inflexible and personalized workouts sessions. They have coaches to help you out.
- fit: One of the top fitness providers in India holds live classes on various fitness techniques such as Dance, Pilates, Cardio and more
- Gold’s Gym: They have a presence all over the world. They provide free on-demand workouts in various categories digitally.
- Equinox: This US-based provider also gives on-demand classes in many fields of fitness through their app.
Be Innovative With Your Fitness Regime
We can even be innovative by thinking of new ideas of a fitness routine. Some good ideas are:
- Drawing an obstacle course in our backyards. This can cover various exercises such as squats, lunges, jumping jacks, etc.
- We may take to Aerobics, Zumba, Dance, and Yoga forms of exercises among others which don’t require expensive equipment.
Additional Efforts In Post COVID World
Coming eye to eye with such a devastating state of affairs, we need to be careful. Now more than ever, we need to take precautions which should involve the following:
Immunity is your strongest guard against COVID-19:
- You need to eat healthy. Avoid eating out and cook food rich in protein and nutrition.
- Taking supplements is also advisable, however, make sure you check with your doctor first. Don’t go by hearsay, your needs might be different depending upon your medical condition.
- You can’t afford any side effects in times like these when access to hospitals is limited. Neither would you want to be hospitalized and expose yourself to catching COVID
Hygiene: Maintaining cleanliness is something we should follow in our daily routine as well. However, most of us don't or can't. But now we need to be extra cautious about hygiene:
- Wearing gloves, masks, and face shields while traveling or commuting is essential.
- Washing hands regularly and multiple times a day is a life-saving solution.
- Using hand sanitizers and following the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO) is mandatory.
Wrapping it up
The saying 'survival of the fittest' is most applicable in these times. Young people need to keep themselves fit to take care of the elderly. The elderly need to deal with the situation patiently. We are in this together and this too shall pass.
In times to come, there will be a cure but we need to imbibe the new normal into our lifestyles. Even after the cure is made available, we need to continue with the preventive measures.
And last but not the least, staying digitally connected with loved ones is important for mental health. So stay connected and keep each other encouraged.